Re: [glob2-devel] Yet another question about Mercurial

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Yet another question about Mercurial
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 09:13:49 +0200

Putting aside the fact that it downloads all revisions or whatever is does,
after running

hg clone http://hg.globulation2.org/glob2/

and subequent pull and udpates, will the code make compiles by the latest?

I don't know whether I understand you or not.
So I'll try to answer.  After you "hg pull": every revision in the source
repository will be in you target too, plus the revisions that already
where there.

The latest revision (i.e: tip) may be from an developmental branch.  It
should compile, but not run the way master glob2 would run.

Anyway the update may go wrong, or mercurial might ask you to merge
something, which is probably not what you want.
You only should merge, when you want to merge.
Whenever mercurial asks you to merge, and you don't want to merge,
you must look which branch your currently in "hg branch" and what branch
tip is in "hg tip".
If they are in different branches, you have to decide in which you want to be.
Case you want to be in the branch of tip:
# hg update -C
Or:
# hg revert --all
Otherwise check which is the latest revision you want to be in, with
"hg log -l <amount of revisions displayed>" or "hg view" or
"hg log -l <amount of revisions displayed> -r <branchname>"

If tip and your current revision seem to be in the same branch, have a look
at the repository history.  Probably they only have the same branchname,
but are in a different branch.  In this case there should be different
heads with the same branchname and someone has made a mistake.
"hg heads" will show.

I tired running the -r master thing, but it just doesn't work for me. I get
errors, rollbacks, aborts and more.

This should only happen when you try to merge.
Maybe when you update too in some case.  But then "hg revert --all" should still
work.

So I was hoping that the code I have
download just now is that of the latest code in the respoitry (called HEAD
in CVS).

Don't hope.  Check it: "hg heads" or "hg tip"
And "hg status" to look if your working directory differs from tip.

Does downling murcurioal auto download master as the front code?

No, mercurial does not treat "master" in anyway special.  It is just a
phony name.  Unless you tell mercurial what you want by the "-r master"
it doesn't know.

I hope you understand what I mean. Like the code that is the latest, and not
a branch.

I assume cloning your repository:
# hg clone -r master <your repository name> <new repository name>"
And always pulling into that clone:
# hg pull -r master ...
will get you the results that you want.

--