Re: [glob2-devel] drawing the fog of war

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] drawing the fog of war
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:59:15 +0100

"Leo Wandersleb" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Joe!
>
> In Game.cpp we have
> 2426 drawMapWater;
> 2427 drawMapTerrain;          //(3)
> 2428 drawMapRessources;
> 2429 drawMapGroundUnits;
> 2430 drawMapDebugAreas;
> 2431 drawMapGroundBuildings;
> 2432 drawMapAirUnits;
> 2433 drawMapAreas;            //(1)
> 2445 drawMapFogOfWar;         //(2)
> 2446 drawMapOverlayMaps;
> 2448 // draw cloud overlay if we are in high quality
> 2450 ds.renderOverlay; // I should fix that and put it in a separate routine
> drawMapClouds;
>
> in this order.

Thanks for the nice explanation!

> So actually we can change the order (1) and (2) without hazard.

Because nothing important happens in the “...”?

Okay, I would like that.

> Nevertheless i would want Areas to display after (3) so it gets
> painted on the ground.

Correct.  I think anything drawn before drawMapWater/drawMapTerrain
will not show up at all, because they are drawn without any
transparency.  Right?

> We only would have to care and not design objects (buildings, res)
> that too much cover those area marks.

What do you mean by “cover”?  Because buildings and resources are
drawn first, they can not cover areas, but areas can cover them.

Anyway, the area marks move around because the areas are animated.

By the way, I notice that overlay maps are drawn after globules.  I'd
much rather they were drawn before, because I find it extremely hard
to _see_ globules under them and it makes the overlay maps mostly not
useful to me.  (Of course, I also would not like the overlay maps to
be affected by fog of war, because the meaning of the overlay maps is
determined by their intensity and the fog of war would interfere with
that.  I don't know how to accomplish both.)

--
Joe