Re: [glob2-devel] no tags in hg since 0.8.21

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] no tags in hg since 0.8.21
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:10:53 +1200

Mercurial still has tags, but rather than branching (like you suggested as a substitute) or copying that revision to a tags folder like CVS used to do, it copies the specific revisions to a tags file I believe.

From Mercurial Website:
"A Mercurial Tag is just a symbolic name for a ChangeSet. See Tag for a little more discussion."

So it takes the revision number (or in mercurials case hash string?), and puts it into a file, so you should be able to call -r alpha23 without it being a branch (so years from now, you dont need to dig through branches, revisions etc, it links right to the old revisions that was tagged alpha23).

If understood it correctly (and it works this way) then its quite a handy feature and we should keep tagging when releases are made, particularly from beta 1 onwards.

Regards
Kieran