Re: [glob2-devel] no tags in hg since 0.8.21

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] no tags in hg since 0.8.21
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:54:39 +0200

I created the .hgtags file in revision: 2562:8d6a0bea1b2e
The conversion from cvs to mercurial missed all tags, so I used a
different conversion
tool to get most tags and inserted those by hand.  But for some reason
alpha22 and alpha23
were not created by that conversion tool.  And the "hg log" command
does not give the full hash, so I couldn't tag alpha22 and alpha 23.
I have created alpha23 a few moments ago:

# hg pull -r master
# hg update -r master
# hg tag -r a01f0f5f93d7 alpha23
# hg push https://hg.globulation2.org/glob2

I don't know which revision alpha22 is.

> So it takes the revision number (or in mercurials case hash string?), and
> puts it into a file, so you should be able to call -r alpha23 without it
> being a branch (so years from now, you dont need to dig through branches,
> revisions etc, it links right to the old revisions that was tagged alpha23).

Yes, that file is called ".hgtags".  It contains one hash and a
tag-name per line.
Tags are not sticky, so if we tag a release, every distribution will
get the correct
revision.  Different revisions can have different ".hgtags" files.
But mercurial reads
them all - unless some are not pulled into the local repository.

> If understood it correctly (and it works this way) then its quite a handy
> feature and we should keep tagging when releases are made, particularly from
> beta 1 onwards.

I agree.  Named branches are not made for this task - tags are.

--
Kai Antweiler