Re: [glob2-devel] particle improvement

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] particle improvement
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:05:27 +0200

> * It needs the ability to turn off this on Low Quality if it isn't already
> (I haven't tried but I don't think it is based on the commits (no
> indication of an if to see if quality is low)).

It is.

> * The effects only happens for fully constructed buildings. If you attack
> and delete a repairing or constructing structure, I do not believe there is
> any smoke. It would be nice if there was just a quick puff of smoke (like
> the tower gives), when attacking buildings like new inns or something not
> built yet. Adds to the game and keeps it consistent.

I know, the test in GameGUI::generateNewParticles() should be a bit more
intelligent.

> * Change tower bullet destination into particle too. At the moment, it
> shoots with a puff of smoke, but lands with I'm guessing not a particle
> effect :P It would be nice if you could change that effect to use particles
> as well (which would also allow another thing which will turn off on low
> quality mode, the more the better).

It is not indeed. You are correct.

> * The smoke goes over the black undiscovered zone. I dont think this should
> happen, it looks really weird, especially for like a pool, which, when one
> corner is being attack and the rest is under black, looks like it comes out
> of nowhere. I suggest only showing the smoke if the full building site is
> within the viewable area (viewable area = lightest part of the game screen,
> not overtop of the black zone, and unseeable if FOG covers it).

I agree, that would be more consistant.

> * IMHO, the smoke disappears too quickly after building gone, how about
> extending it just a second long? That should do the trick.

More of a problem, as the building generates the smoke, if there is no
building, structurally, it is more difficult to generate smoke. But we could
generate some other type of particle the moment the building dies.

> * Finally, current size ok for 2x2 but look weird on higher buildings. how
> about increasing the smoke size on 3x3 through to 8x8. For example, the
> current smoke, x4 its size to fit on 8x8. The current smoke x3 its size to
> fit on 6x6, and the current smoke x2 its size to fit on 4x4.

Well, I was more thinking of having several sources of smoke. I was even
thinking of specifying them in the building description file.

If anyone wants to contribute on the particles effect, she/he is very welcome.

I don't have much time left to work on that for the next days, although I can
certainly do small improvements in small free moments.

Have a nice day,

http://stephane.magnenat.net