Re: [glob2-devel] scons install. but i get weired permission deny

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] scons install. but i get weired permission deny
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 15:56:16 -0400

On 8/26/07, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sunday 26 August 2007 12:43:07 Leo Wandersleb wrote:
> Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> > Does scons
> > has the equivalent of make install ?
>
> yes. "scons install". but weired things are happening here:
>
> I followed http://globulation2.org/wiki/Building_the_.deb_file:
> cd DirectoryYouDownloadedAndUnpackedGlob2
> scons
> sudo checkinstall -D //didn't work
> sudo checkinstall scons install //worked, so i changed that line in the
> wiki
>
> sudo dpkg -i glob2_beta1-1_amd64.deb
>
> but now:
> $ glob2
> bash: /usr/local/bin/glob2: Permission denied
> $ sudo glob2
> Password:
> (glob2 runs fine)

Hum, I think that is because checkinstall is executed as root.

I've tried:
        fakeroot checkinstall -D scons install
and
        checkinstall --fstrans -D scons install
Both produce an error, but nevertheless build the package. Yet when I try to
install them, they fail because they try to overwrite g++, which is of utmost
nastyness.

If anyone manage to get this thing working properly, we should put on the wiki
the correct checkinstall command line, with correct description and
dependencies.

The normal way to do debian package is through debian/rules which do change
some permissions in the process. We can write handcrafted script that copies
files by hand. That is trivial, but takes some time. If somewant want to do
it, I've attached an example to this mail.

Have a nice day,

http://stephane.magnenat.net

If needed, it would take me only 30 seconds to a minute to make a scons alias that outputs the names of all the files that are to be installed, to facilitate automatic manual copying.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.