[glob2-devel] Beta 3 Release Candidate

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: [glob2-devel] Beta 3 Release Candidate
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:58:24 -0500

The Beta 3 Release Candidate has been branched off from the default branch.

I think its a priority to release beta 3 due to the large number of bug fixes, and since the beta 2 tarball was released without music. Beta 3 is a stability release!

I have made many bug fixes. It seemed also that, for every 5 bug fixes I made, I introduced 1-2 more, but these all have been solved in time.

Some of the bugs where quite sneaky. On the maps FourSquares1, Playground, Wild River, Centerfolds 2, particular teams would instantly lose, no matter how you set the game up. It turned out to be caused by a bit of map corruption in the files themselves. I'm not sure how the values got to be this way, but it was causing both hasWon and hasLost in the SGSL script engine to be true. I'm not sure what effect hasWon=true had, but I know that hasLost=true was causing those particular teams with the corrupted values to instantly lose. When you played against the AI's, they'd do nothing, because the teams had lost.

For the YOG server, we are going to have to run three in parallel, Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3. However, I've re-organized the NetMessages so that future versions will be compatible during login, so we won't ever need to run multiple servers for each version in the future. I have already launched the beta 3 server on the new port.

I'm not sure how long its been, but the Alpha 23 and previous game servers have been off line for quite some time. I've only ever received a comment about it once, so I presume most people upgraded before they where shut down.

If you intend to do a new feature, put it into the 'default' branch. If you make a bug fix, do it in the beta3-rc branch. Then, use `hg pull -r beta3-rc` in the default-branch to pull your changes, use `hg merge tip` to merge them with the default branch, and `hg commit -m"Merged with default branch"` to commit. Then push both changesets to the globulation 2 hg server like you normally would.

Beta 3 is scheduled to be launched soon! Pass me your bugs.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.