Re: [glob2-devel] globulation2.org is down again

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] globulation2.org is down again
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:00:15 -0700

Leo Wandersleb wrote:
hi list,

now as our server is down once again, the old issue of stability comes back again.

status of leowandersleb.de as a backup server:

* apache2 has a virtual host glob2.leowandersleb.de with aliases like on drazak's server.

* there is a glob2-account with the same public keys like on drazaks server: #appleboy, #nct, #genixpro, #andrew, #ion_biddon, #giszmo, #k776

* there is a mySQL-db for glob2 and a phpmyadmin set up

ToDo:
* set up a backup cron job at drazak's server
* either store the backup in a public place (http or ftp) or use an ssh-key to access the one server via the other (a bit insecure. access to one server would mean access to both.)
* set up a restore on my server for both the files and the db
* make sure it is read only
* manage the switch in dns if #1 is down.

my progress:
- updating apache2: gentoo realized how badly they screwed up the apache2 setup and that it was only getting worse so they brought everything back up to snuff, which means config file changes galore! Along with other changes from not keeping up the server up to date (I'm getting there on that too). apache should be back up in about 25 minutes

- backups: I have cleaned up all of the old unused stuff on drazak's server and downloaded anything that should be archived to my laptop, those backups are now archived on my laptop, external USB drive, and a DVD. :) will go through them later. The VPS has a 20GB HD, we were using 4 GB, down to ~700mb now just to give you a hint of how many useless things were in there.

- future backup process: my goal is to setup a cron job on drazak's server to make a local backup of the database, the username/pass/setting files of each of the YOG servers, and the public_files for phpbb and the wiki, and put it in a folder, then on Leo's server have a cron job that runs about an hour after the one on drazak's server that scp's those files over and puts them in their proper place. I don't think there are any other directories that need to be actively backed up, are there? the other public_html directories are pretty stagnant unless we update phpbb or the wiki, but no need to use up extra bandwidth backing those up every night or whatever interval we decide instead of just updating them on both at the same time.

- dns switching: Steph is the only one I know of with access to DNS so can't help you there.