Re: [glob2-devel] YOG 9.3 compatibility

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] YOG 9.3 compatibility
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:58:58 +0200

Hi

>> What is the status of YOG in particular,
yog was down recently. no idea what caused that. i issued the
server-start-command and found my server incapable to do a "top" or a
"ps -Alf". It recovered after some seconds and we played a 3 player game
of glob2-0.9.3. Maybe we need some way to request a server restart for
those who notice it being down. What if the client would offer to
prepare a mail to us if connection fails? ...
>>  and Glob2 in general ?
beta 4 has not yet been released. some loose ends have to be tied.
packaging of a non free font has to be managed so it can stay in debian.
Lua scripting works but is not feature complete.
>> What did
>> Bradley finished and what is to do ? Will Bradley still have time to work a
>> bit on Glob2 ?
I hope he is at least to finish his contract or to officially announce
it to be finished.
>> If not, what should we do ?

I would offer to continue to pay 400EUR per month but would request much
tighter planing and definition what has to be done for the money. It's
not about me buying code. If others come up with ideas and if i think
they are the right ones, I would spend money for those. As I have no
insight at all in how much time is spent on glob2, time is not what I
would pay for in the future. I was thinking of giving
http://www.getafreelancer.com/ a shot although they would take 10% to
match tasks and programmers.

Please also comment on what you think of this financial contribution as
I'm not sure it is even good for glob2.

> That last question can wait until we know the answer to the rest.
> If Bradley has some time left and Leo agrees, we should focus on
> finishing glob2-1.0 for good and not (as usual) come up with nice
> features that "have to be" in that release.

sure. make it a release. but please participate in the debate on paving
areas and the priority modificator as the first is top on my list of
tools to reduce micro management and the second is introducing
redundancy and thus micromanagement in my eyes as instead of introducing
low/medium/high priority, the worker count should be made into a
priority meter as proposed in earlier mails.

(now if you loose workers due to conversion workers ignore the swarms
and work for inns what is a loosing strategy. reducing workers on the
inns would free some for the swarms. this can now also be done by
setting swarms to high priority. glob2 should not need those two
mechanisms and understand that setting worker count to 20 on the swarm
means that this has a higher priority than inns with 3 workers. to
balance the training rate i would give schools etc. a "workers" or
better "priority" slider, too. rest see prior mail.)
>> We should prevent Glob2 to fall in idleness once again, however, I have no
>> miracle receipie to prevent this to happen.

Although I'm not sure money turned the situation to its best, I invite
everybody who has no time to work at glob2 to offer money to those who
have time. Plan is to end up with a full time programmer some day.
> We always came back from idleness. We will again.

Don't take that for granted. We really need people to code things and to
keep the code in a state others can participate easily.
> Bradley's semester will be over in a few month.

I wouldn't count on Bradley as long as he doesn't tell us to do so. I
hope he thinks of glob2 once he has a bachelor or master thesis to do ;)
> New programmers will join.

I wish it was easy to take only the contributions. It takes quite some
time to talk to people on irc and mail to enable new people and out of
20 offers there is one contributor.
> You and Leo and others will somehow mange to do great work in your spare time.

don't count on me. for the rest of 2008 i will barely have enough time
to care about glob2 not to speak of digging into code.

Greetings,

Leo Wandersleb