glug-nith-discuss

Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Installing Debian from Windows

From: vivek shah
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Installing Debian from Windows
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:21:48 +0530

On 3/3/07, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
>It is true that the http://goodbye-microsoft.com/ site does not outline any
>test cases, but here is where Ubuntu does a better job. The use cases in
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe are quite explanatory.

    I will explain why the test cases are not quite explanatory.

>It is not meant to be run in WINE. It is for Windows users. Read the use
>cases.

    It is true it is meant for  Windows users but it does not say that it is not meant to
    be run in WINE. What if I do not have the iso and to use install.exe to install it from
    another distro. Unlikely but cannot say not meant.

>Have you read the use cases? I guess not. So here are a few salient points:

      I did read them and here are a few salient examples.

>a. "Brenda is an inexperienced Windows user who is tired of viruses and
>crashes, so she decides to try out Ubuntu." But she does not know what
>to do with the .iso. Enter install.exe.

   There are a lot of live cds available which you can use to how it is working out for
   and there is the graphical mode installer as well which does everything for you. You
   need not be a great hacker to work your way out. If you mean that Brenda does
   even know the existence of such stuff then it is a different issue altogether.

>b. "Peter is an amateur video editor who is interested in trying out
>Ubuntu." But he can not because he is scared of losing his data. Enter
>install.exe.

   Peter does not have to delete his million dollar data if he installs from an iso even
   if he uses the install.exe that will also use his hard disk space and so also from the
   iso he will just have to see where to install it properly.

>c. "Jane and her coworkers are employees at WidgetTech Corporation who would
>like to use their favorite OS, Ubuntu, at work." But their company would
>not allow any re-partitioning. Enter install.exe .

   Out here what exactly is repartitioning? I think it means deleting partitions and
   making new ones or resizing them according to WidgetTech Corporation. If that is
   the case then they can use a partition which they can allocate for the distro and
   make the 2 minimal root and swap partiions without resizing and cleaning other
   partitions as ultimately install.exe will also have to make 2 minimal root and swap
   partitions.

>d. "Mark is an Ubuntu user who has just bought an ultra-portable laptop."
>But he does not have a CD drive. Enter install.exe.

   I guess he can use an USB drive if not network  install.

   In case all my explanations sound too justifying, yes they are justifying but  will also
   agree that the install.exe is a much easier option though for Windows users. I am
   only giving these explanations because i dont want to sound like a crackpot
   mailer hell bent on mailing and I had earlier said that the reasons do not sound
   very convincing to me... I am not saying it is useless or not worth it. I agree it is a
   great idea to initiate people into GNU/Linux what I meant was the reasons that are
   listed need not necessarily have the only option of install.exe

>Which of these use cases talk about reducing ShipIts? In case you were
>referring to:

>"The elimination of the need for an installation CD will allow users without
>CD burners or spare CDs to try Ubuntu, ease burdens on ShipIt, and allow
>installation on ultra-portable laptops with no CD drives."

>Stamping, packaging and shipping millions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu CDs
>to all corners of the world costs some money. Canonical is has not yet
>broken even, and is a start-up with just twenty odd workers. Even Red Hat
>can not afford to do this for Fedora.

    I had referred to shipping in a humorous tone sorry I forgot to add a smiley but
    I agree to your point.

    Regards,
    Vivek
--
   Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man.
                -- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"