gmediaserver-devel

Re: [gmediaserver-devel] SMC EzStream success!

From: Oskar Liljeblad
Subject: Re: [gmediaserver-devel] SMC EzStream success!
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:43:36 +0100

On Monday, November 28, 2005 at 13:50, Ben Hall wrote:

Hi Ben,

> I just wanted to let you know that the gmediaserver works perfectly with
> my SMC EzStream upnp client and the mp101 profile.
>
> I'd like to thank all involved, as this device had been a source of
> frustration since my initial purchase.  SMC bundles MusicMatch.  Of
> course, this doesn't run on my Linux server.  Moreover, even on Windows,
> the upnp server portion of MusicMatch has a tendency to just die.  As if
> that's not bad enough, it does this in such a way that the GUI still
> thinks it's running.
>
> I next turned to twonky.  At around the same time, they removed the SMC
> box from their list of supported devices.  It sort of worked, but the
> SMC would lose the twonky server after it had been off for a while.
>
> Not so with the Gmediaserver!  For the first time since I purchased it,
> the SMC works reliably every time I power it up.  Not only that, after
> the initial scan, gmediaserver takes up far less CPU and RAM than Twonky
> (or Slimserver.)  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Nice! Thanks for the feedback. I will add an entry for the SMC device to
the web page and README. Can you tell me which model you have?
On this page

  http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewCategory&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=11

I can find three models: SMCWMR-AG, SMCWAA-B, SMCWAA-G.
Also, what file formats does this device support?

Regards

Oskar