Re: [Gnash-dev] opengl and framebbufer

From: Daniel Amor Martín
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] opengl and framebbufer
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:05:49 +0100

Udo Giacomozzi escribió:
Hello Daniel,

DAM>  Ok, the OpenGL libraries we have talk directly to the
DAM> framebuffer, or at least thats what we think because no GUI is
DAM> running and we have some demos playing.

I never used OpenGL. Can it render to a off-screen buffer (ie. System
RAM not Video RAM)? My gut feeling is "no". The FB GUI is designed to
use a double buffer where the buffer is a normal memory that is
memcpy() on frame advance.
I think that PowerVR OpenGL implementation writes directly to the video, so no off-screen buffering.
I don't want to discourage you, but
probably most of the FB code is not suitable for OpenGL (everything
except resolution detection and event handling).
The thing is that if we cannot use OpenGL then the application will run a bit slow and we won't be able to use all the functionality that would be interesting, and we could use a controller that has no OpenGL accel, which is cheaper.

I have been trying gnash on my PC with GTK/AGG and with SDL/AGG, just to start trying, and I have found that no fullscreen mode is provided in the GUI, compared to FB which is fullscreen by definition.

is it possible to have fullscreen gnash using GTK?

Thanks for your help, I know I'm making too many questions.
I suggest you first try to understand exactly use OpenGL with just a
framebuffer device, ie. write a little test program that displays some
sort *accelerated* graphic (a simple line would do) without a X server
or DirectFB around.

The probably best way to go would be using DirectFB. I am sure it
provides abstract access to most video cards and it comes with a nice
event handling system. The FB GUI is of necessity very low level
regarding events.

DAM>  Is there any file containing this glue code? it would be nice just to
DAM> have a look at it and decide if we can do something in this case, DAM> although I assume that it will be in different parts of the source.

Have a look at the files under "gui/" with "glue" in their name...

Udo