gnash

[Gnash] Re: 0.8.1 new functionality

From: Dâniel Fraga
Subject: [Gnash] Re: 0.8.1 new functionality
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:00:40 -0300

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:27:55 -0600
Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:

>   When Gnash has v9 support, it'll start to work. That's in progress
> as somebodies primary focus, so what's the problem ? Urgent ? No, not
> really. Correctness of playing flash movies is probably more
> important, as it effects more people than just a video site. Yes, we
> listen to users, and more want correctness, than myspace, if you dig
> through Bugzilla. Personally, I find YouTube boring, and can't figure
> out what all the excitement is about.

        Ok, you can find youtube boring, but most of people don't. So,
let's think about democracy. The main problem, in my opinion, is what
users want and use... because you can end with a "correct" piece of
software that nobody uses because it doesn't serve people's purpose.
And it's sad to make all this effort to result in nothing.

>   It's useless to yell at us for not moving as fast as you would like.
> Reverse engineering is slow, hard work. With more people working on
> Gnash we'd make faster progress, but right now we have to make due
> with the current team. I think we've been making good progress, even
> though it may not be as fast as you would like.

        And I thank you of course. I'm not just complaining like a
baby. I blame Adobe for not releasing the sources and for being *much*
slower to release the 64 bit plugin. Adobe flash programmers should be
too incompetent to take so long to release a damn 64 bit plugin... it's
like Sun and their non-existent 64bit java plugin.

        It's very sad how the entire market is stupid to depend on only
one company like Adobe (Flash)... or Sun (Java)... or Microsoft
(Windows). I'm pissed of about those companies and their monopolies.

        In the end, I think the user is a victim, Adobe is the "evil"
and Gnash developers are heroes. But it shouldn't be this way.