Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Search box in gnewsense site

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Search box in gnewsense site
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 23:55:07 +0930

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:08:35 +0000
Matteo Giaccone <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Sam Geeraerts
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Matteo Giaccone schreef:
> >>
> >> i've searched through users-ml and i've found only a useful
> >> reference to this forum thread:
> >> http://wiki.gnewsense.org/ForumMain/SearchFunctionDisappeared
> >>
> >> i've spotted here and there suggestions to use google
> >> (site:gnewsense.org) to search in the site, but i don't think that
> >> would be good...
> >>
> >> can you explain me better where is the problem? I could try
> >> solving it? bye
> >>

> > I think you'd need to get your hands dirty with PmWiki yourself.
> > Maybe Brian can tell you a bit more about it. See also [1]. You can
> > also talk to the PmWiki devs about it, but I hear they're not
> > always very responsive.
>
> thanks Sam!
> If it's possibile i would try to solve the problem. If i can't access
> the code on the machine, could you tell me more about your installed
> system and possibly give me a dump of the db? That would be useful to
> have a lot of data and recreate the situation like on gnewsense's
> server.

We run PMWiki pmwiki-2.1.27 . The various .gnewsense.org machines are
pmwikis in a 'farm'.

I'd rather not distribute the wiki data files, even if the Profiles are
removed though.

> I still think that a search box in a site like the gnewsense one, is
> of a great value! Since there is a growing wiki the only way to get
> info is with a search box...

Would be nice to have, but its already been 'fixed' and rebroken once...
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor