Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 09:44:17 -0400

On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 14:31 +0200, Graziano Sorbaioli wrote:

> Karl Goetz ha scritto:
>
> > I still want to remove the forum when we move to new web services. From
> > that perspective I'm not sure I should list the es forums.
> > Thoughts from anyone?
> > kk
>

> I don't think we should have too many support/sharing platforms.
>
> I see the forum as something useless when we already have a mailing list.
>
> People looking for support should better subscribe themselves to our
> users mailing list.
>
> My 2 cents.

Mailing lists are not what new users expect in 2009. One of the main
reasons Ubuntu has been so successful is because they have massive
forums where a _lot_ of support goes on. If the forums are removed, it
will just make gNewSense look like the distro of choice for elitist
hyperpolitical nerds.

If we want gNewSense to have the same growth as Ubuntu (or Gentoo, or
Fedora, etc.) then it needs to have a forum. That will attract a
completely different population than a mailing list would -- I don't see
why the two are being viewed as mutually exclusive.