Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 10:27:04 -0400

On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 15:18 +0100, Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
wrote:
> Ted Smith wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Upon reading Ted's mail I felt I really had to reply.
>
> Snipped for sanity!
>

> > If we want gNewSense to have the same growth as Ubuntu (or Gentoo, or
> > Fedora, etc.) then it needs to have a forum. That will attract a
> > completely different population than a mailing list would -- I don't see
> > why the two are being viewed as mutually exclusive.
> >

> Where is the person who has shown the following qualities:
>
> (A) a duration of support for the project, and shown to have similar aims.
>
> (B) a level of technical skill suitable for running this aspect of the
> project, some of which are to be seen in (i) and (ii) **
> (i)Where is the person to make web to forums and forums to web work?

Could you clarify what you mean by "web"?

> (ii) Where is the person to stop spam on such forums?

There's a large amount of anti-spam work for phpBB, a very widely-used
(and free) forum program.

> (C) (this is the hard part,) have the trust of the FSF to work on the
> hardware they donate to the project
>
> However if you (A) and (B) then perhaps (C) is not that hard.
>
> ** Proof of such an ability needs to be shown in advance because once
> the move is made it is very hard to say we are unhooking these
> technologies, thus it needs to be done right the first time to grow
> rather than break the project.
> In my mind these conditions have not been fulfilled.
>
> Any Takers?

I have not been very visible (if at all) in the gNewSense community, so
I don't know if I have the trust needed, nor do I know if I have the
technical skill (wrt "forums to web"). I'd gladly moderate a gNewSense
forum, and that is not something which requires large amounts of trust
(as moderators can be easily replaced) or skill.