[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Location for gnewsense creation code version control

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Location for gnewsense creation code version control
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:03:55 -0400

Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 15:57:00 -0400
> Daniel Clark <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From my perspective the obvious choice would be the FSF's project
>> hosting site, https://savannah.nongnu.org/ - the mailing lists are
>> already @nongnu.org addresses.
>
> Wonder if it supports bzr (my preference); only arch and hg are listed.

It has beta support; you have to ask beuc to enable it on your project.
Matt Lee reports Gnash is very happy with it, and he will be using it
for his Libre.fm project shortly.

>> If we wanted to do more than just host code at the site, I know some
>> people have mentioned trac; this site does trac hosting, and is
>> affiliated with http://autonomo.us , so is probably fine from a
>> freedom perspective: http://www.knowledgeforge.net/
>
> While I dont mind hosting (copies) of our code off site, I'd like to
> keep most other stuff on "our servers".
> Then if it disapears, we aren't waiting for someone else to fix it for
> us.

From my perspective the FSF hosts both savannah and gnewsense, so there
isn't much difference (eg if something goes so wrong you can't access
the machine, someone from the FSF will be dealing with that); and of
course using bzr we could just set up a cron job on *.gnewsense.org to
create a clone of the repo on a regular basis (and any developers /
users could do the same on machines they own).

From the autonomy perspective I and a few others are working on
http://code.autonomo.us , but that's relatively far from being usable as
a entire project hosting service.

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny