Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: [KFV] mrouted licence

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: [KFV] mrouted licence
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:10:14 +0100

crap0101 schreef:
sorry, i've trim some text :)

about http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00287

After a comparison between mroute.h and the source mrouted tarball i
think the code in the former only mimic the mrouted structures and
definitions for source compatibility purpose (like stated in the first
comment); indeed, i haven’t found blocks of code copied from the
latter.
Therefore, are you think is safe to have it?

I've just skimmed over the mrouted code myself and I think you're right. I took some samples and found that only a small portion of the definitions in mroute.h are used (not defined) in mrouted and just a tiny portion is also defined in mrouted. So the definitions for mrouted are/were probably in the BSD kernel. As the comment refers to mrouted and not BSD itself, I think we can assume that the definitions in mroute.h were reconstructed from mrouted and not copied from mrouted or BSD code.

I'm closing the bug report. Thanks for checking this Marco.