[Gnewsense-dev] Re: metad beta1 - amd64 macbook pro

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: metad beta1 - amd64 macbook pro
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 07:50:13 -0500

Lars Nooden wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
>>   http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/installer/3.0~beta1/
>>
>> This beta release is very preliminar and not intended to be heavily
>> publicised.
>> It is only intended for members of the gNewSense community to help testing
>> it.
>
> I went through the network install process on a macbook pro (amd64)
> using the mini.iso cd
>
> http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/installer/3.0~beta1/amd64/netboot/
>
> and after the installation is completed without errors and the cd
> ejected, gNewSesne does not start up.  Rather, a blinking mac folder
> with a question mark shows up.  During the installation grub seemed to
> install just fine.
>
> Regards
> /Lars

Isn't Apple hardware "special" in this regard?

e.g. http://refit.sourceforge.net/

http://wiki.debian.org/MacBook#Debianinstallation looks like the doc you
want. It says EFI is only starting to be supported directly in squeeze,
so it certainly wouldn't work "out of the box" on metad 3, where
upstream is lenny.

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny