Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: metad beta1 - amd64 macbook pro

From: Lars Nooden
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: metad beta1 - amd64 macbook pro
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 21:38:41 +0200

Daniel Clark wrote:
> http://wiki.debian.org/MacBook#Debianinstallation

Thanks.  I've used rEFIt before, but that page is still informative.
Bootloaders are not something I currently understand, but grub does work
with other distros so it should be solvable for gNewSense, too.

> It says EFI is only starting to be supported directly in
> squeeze, so it certainly wouldn't work "out of the box"

Not all set ups need it.  I found I needed EFI only when a multiboot
setup included OS X. So gNewSense should use it.

> on metad 3, where upstream is lenny.

Etch may be an advantage.  I found that lenny appears to suffer from
some problems.  For example, I could not get lenny to install directly
on sparc (a t1000).  Eventually I had to install etch first, then go via
distro upgrade.  When I ran Debian on the amd64, it was etch, even after
Lenny was released, but I can't recall why.

I've used that machine for about 2.5 years.  It's had a mixture of
OS X, Debian Etch, Ubuntu (8.04, 9.04, 9.10), and OpenBSD.  Usually 3-4
months between changes.  On some occasions it was dual boot Debian or
Ubuntu w/OpenBSD.  On others it was triple boot, with OS X, too.  Only
when OS X was there did I also need rEFIt.

/Lars