Re: [Gnewsense-dev] metad beta1 released

From: Lars Nooden
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] metad beta1 released
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 21:36:24 +0200

Karl Goetz wrote:

> If someone is netinstalling its assumed their connection can handle it.
> switching to something !=wget means a delta we havce to carry in our
> installer. is it worth it?

I don't know.  How small does it have to be and who are we trying to
reach?

Having mirrors will help, I'm probably just grumbling about bad
connectivity.

I use net install because I found that in the college classrooms, CD-RWs
lasted on average 6 uses.  Also, at three campuses, connectivity was so
bad that the only way to successfully carry out an installation
involving any packages or updates from the net was to either to install
a local (or portable) repository or use something like Apt-cacher and
pre-load a cache a few hours before the lab.   One of the sites, to its
great credit had a local Debian repository (back when Debian was like
gNewSense now) and the local network was very fast.

Currently, at home the 4Mb/s (down) connection gives intermittently:
         $ ping -c 5 -n www.gnewsense.org
        PING odyssey.gnewsense.org (140.186.70.24) 56(84) bytes of data.
        --- odyssey.gnewsense.org ping statistics ---
        5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4006ms

with traceroute showing 22 hops to www.gnewsense.org with 2-9 in the mid
30ms and 10 on up with 130ms.

/Lars