Re: [Gnewsense-dev] reintigrate gNewSense with Amagi

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] reintigrate gNewSense with Amagi
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:44:22 +0100

Quiliro Ordóñez schreef:
Greetings Quiliro. Basicaly, they are the same distribution, with
respect to binaries. At least version 1.0 (which is the one you have
now) it is that way. The difference is that the selection of packages
was made taking into consideration some modifications: Compile the
last version of LXDE (which may, why not, end up being a .deb package
for gNewSense and so have a diferent referential repository for the

We've already made some backports, so I think we can manage this if you are willing to maintain it. Any special reason to have this version instead of the one in gNS?

distribution), as well as trnslation to spanish of the web navigator
that is being used [epipahny] (I have half the .po translated) About

I'm not sure, but doesn't it already have a Spanish translation? Anyway, make sure you also submit new or updated translations upstream (i.e. GNOME).

the rest, there are no major differences but there would in the
measure that we work on it. If the gNewSense team would accept our
suggestion of changes it would be marvelous. Thanks! Es de más vale
así. Pero a mi me gusta mejor que sea también
en inglés.

In english is a great option too. It is very welcome. We will
work on that.

By request of Octavio Rossell, I am trying to reintegrate
Amagi to gNewsense...

That would be great.  Could it be as a choice in the desktop
installation?

No problem with that.

You mean as a "Minimal desktop" installation?

While this is being integrated, it might be a good time to sort
out and remove unnecessary dependencies in the main branch of
gNewSense.  For example, I noticed that in gnewsense ekiga is
tied to evolution  :(   :(   :( Or, that openbox is missing xorg
as a dependency.

Please give me some pointers on how to do that.

File bug reports to Debian.

PS.  Regarding your sig, lower system requirements generally mean
lower power consumption.  That is easy to measure and might make
an advertising advantage if it can be show to be 'greener' than
other options.

Great idea! Thanks  :-)

There is one more thing (I think) that Octavio forgot to mention. The
kernel used is 2.6.31.6-libre1.

People who want newer kernels can download them from http://aligunduz.org/gNewSense/