Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [bug #38001] Kernel metapackages (linux-latest-2.6)

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [bug #38001] Kernel metapackages (linux-latest-2.6) refer to missing Debian kernel versions
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 17:15:33 +1100

On Fri,   4 Jan 2013, 07:15:26 LHST, Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op Thu, 3 Jan 2013 13:26:15 +0100
> schreef Marek Buras <address@hidden>:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 08:16:53PM +1100, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > > Ideally all packages we change would have one (and I guess all that
> > > we create; though iirc we have something doco'd about that).
>
> We have 2 wiki pages about packaging [1], [2]. They should get cleaned
> up, updated and possibly merged.

Indeed, i will make a note to look at them though depending on how different
they are it may be best to merge them gradually.

> > > I don't know if we have a template for README.gNewSense but it would
> > > probably be worth having a template in our wiki with a few example
> > > headings to get people on the right track which can be referenced
> > > by our packaging documents.
>
> I haven't kept to a particular form. Some are plain text (e.g.
> linux-2.6), for some I used a little bit of markup to make it look
> prettier (e.g. linux-latest-2.6).

Pretty sure mine are a mix of rest and plain text too (if any of them survive
:)).

> Sometimes someone comes along and asks what the difference between
> Debian and gNewSense is. We should have a wiki page that lists our
> changes. I was thinking we could use README.gNewSense files to generate

interesting thought, i am wondering if pulling the info out of the wili at
source package build time would be a better way to do it.

> that automatically if we use a structured format (e.g. control file

or perhaps the machine readable copyright format to ease moving text between
those files.

> style) for it. E.g. for linux-2.6:

> We could also refer to this page for the package comparison field in
> our census page [3].

Another good idea.
Thanks,
kk