Re: [Gnewsense-dev] README.gNewSense

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] README.gNewSense
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 23:11:02 +0100

Op Sun, 06 Jan 2013 12:50:41 +1100
schreef Karl Goetz <address@hidden>:

> Which gives us another interesting option which is to make the file
> wiki markup. If we choose another format we will either have mixed
> formatting, need to quite $otherformatting in the wiki and extract it
> or do wiki->otherformat conversion at build time.

My first thought for the wiki was to use 1 page with a table listing
all modified and blacklisted packages and short explanations for
problem and fix. Kind of a NONFSDG [1] in a table with fewer fields.
But a wiki table is hard to read in plain text and it's difficult to
shoehorn in any other text we might like to have in the readme. It's
less of an issue for the blacklist [2].

Another option is using a heading for each source package and put the
readme text under it. Readme needs no conversion, blacklist does (a
bit).

I think we need to ask first what we want to see on the wiki page and
in README.gNewSense files. For my developer notes example the readme
might not be the ideal place, but I think it's even less appropriate in
the wiki page. Taking them out of the readme and into some developer
page(s) on the wiki is more fragmentation than we need, though.

> On the subject of things we might want to move from README.gNS to the
> copyright file, the list of files added/removed could be one. There
> is talk of making uscan read debian/copyright and automatically
> remove files it finds in the removed section (sorry for being vague
> on details, I don't have them to hand).

I haven't yet seen a copyright file like that, but it's an interesting
idea.

[1] http://libreplanet.org/wiki/NONFSDG
[2]
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/debderiver/annotate/head:/examples/filters/parkes.yaml