Nokia 5130 with Mac OS X

From: Gustavo Delfino
Subject: Nokia 5130 with Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:17:58 -0430

Hello all, I am new here. I am very interested in using Gnokii to send and receive SMS messages using the Nokia 5130 which I have just purchased just for this. Normally I prefer to download and compile myself but I decided try using a package manager first. Under Mac OS X we have MacPorts and Fink which currently have the following versions of Gnokii available:

0.6.26 (Fink)
0.6.27 (MacPorts)

I decided to use MacPorts as it offers a newer version of Gnokii. It downloaded, compiled and installed Gnokii and a very large number of dependencies (it took about 3 hours).

Then I connected my Nokia 5130 to my Mac using the USB / MicroUSB cable that came with the phone. The phone asks to choose a mode: PC Suite; Printing and Media; or Data Storage. I selected the PC Suite mode. The phone is shown in Mac OS X System Profiler as:

Nokia 5130c-2:

  Product ID:   0x0208
  Vendor ID:    0x0421  (Nokia Corporation)
  Version:      5.80
  Speed:        Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer: Nokia
  Location ID:  0x1d100000
  Current Available (mA):       500
  Current Required (mA):        100

Then I copied the sample configuration file to my home directory:

cp /opt/local/etc/gnokiirc ~/.gnokiirc

Then I tried to use gnokii and found the following problem:

$ gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.27
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /Users/gdelfino/.gnokiirc.
Cannot create lockfile /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0. Please check for existence of the path.Lock file error. Exiting.
Command is still being executed.
Sorry, phone has not yet been converted to new style. Phone.Functions == NULL!

This doesn't work as the /var/lock/ directory does not exist on my machine. So I edited the configuration file and changed the 'use_locking' value from 'yes' to 'no' and also changed the 'model' value from '6510' to '6110'. In regards to the port, I noticed that 4 new devices appear in /dev when I connect the phone:

/dev/cu.usbmodem1d12
/dev/cu.usbmodem1d1A
/dev/tty.usbmodem1d12
/dev/tty.usbmodem1d1A

so I tried "gnokii --identify" with all those possibilities. These are the results:

$ gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.27
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /Users/gdelfino/.gnokiirc.
phone instance config:
model = 6110
port = /dev/cu.usbmodem1d12
connection = serial
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 19200
serial_write_usleep = -1
handshake = software
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 10
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Serial device: opening device /dev/cu.usbmodem1d12
Serial device: setting speed to 115200
Serial device: setting RTS to low and DTR to high
Message sent: 0x40 / 0x0004
00 01 64 01                                     |   d
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Message sent: 0x40 / 0x0004
00 01 64 01                                     |   d
[Echo cancelled]
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Message sent: 0x40 / 0x0004
00 01 64 01                                     |   d
[Echo cancelled]
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Serial device: closing device
Telephone interface init failed: Command timed out.
Quitting.
Cannot unlock device.
Command timed out.

$ gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.27
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /Users/gdelfino/.gnokiirc.
phone instance config:
model = 6110
port = /dev/cu.usbmodem1d1A
connection = serial
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 19200
serial_write_usleep = -1
handshake = software
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 10
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Serial device: opening device /dev/cu.usbmodem1d1A
Serial device: setting speed to 115200
Serial device: setting RTS to low and DTR to high
Message sent: 0x40 / 0x0004
00 01 64 01                                     |   d
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Message sent: 0x40 / 0x0004
00 01 64 01                                     |   d
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Message sent: 0x40 / 0x0004
00 01 64 01                                     |   d
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Serial device: closing device
^C (it gets stuck here. I had to press CTRL-C)

$ gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.27
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /Users/gdelfino/.gnokiirc.
phone instance config:
model = 6110
port = /dev/tty.usbmodem1d12
connection = serial
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 19200
serial_write_usleep = -1
handshake = software
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 10
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Serial device: opening device /dev/tty.usbmodem1d12
[...]

port = /dev/tty.usbmodem1d1A
connection = serial
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 19200
serial_write_usleep = -1
handshake = software
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 10
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Serial device: opening device /dev/tty.usbmodem1d1A
Serial device: setting speed to 115200
Serial device: setting RTS to low and DTR to high
Message sent: 0x40 / 0x0004
00 01 64 01                                     |   d
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Message sent: 0x40 / 0x0004
00 01 64 01                                     |   d
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Message sent: 0x40 / 0x0004
00 01 64 01                                     |   d
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Serial device: closing device
Telephone interface init failed: Command timed out.
Quitting.
Cannot unlock device.
Command timed out.

All these attempts were made using 'connection = serial'. As they were all unsuccessful, I decided to try bluetooth. After pairing the phone, and verifying that I can browse the phone from my computer, I changed the configuration to have:

connection = bluetooth
port = <the phone MAC address>

MacPro gnokii master $ gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.27
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /Users/gdelfino/.gnokiirc.
phone instance config:
model = 6110
port = 00:25:47:26:54:b7
connection = bluetooth
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 19200
serial_write_usleep = -1
handshake = software
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 10
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Error in link initialisation
Serial device: closing device
Telephone interface init failed: Function or connection type not supported by the phone or by the phone driver. Quitting . Cannot unlock device. Function or connection type not supported by the phone or by the phone driver.

   $
This last test really screws up my terminal window, so I have to close it.

Before I continue trying, I would like to know if I am doing something wrong that I am missing. The ideas now in my mind are:

* compile version 0.6.28
* solve the use_locking problem
* try with the other connection values
* Install a Linux partition or virtual machine

Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

Regards,

Gustavo Delfino