Re: Nokia 5130 with Mac OS X

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Nokia 5130 with Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:31:58 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 00:47, Gustavo Delfino <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello all, I am new here. I am very interested in using Gnokii to send and
> receive SMS messages using the Nokia 5130 which I have just purchased just

This one:
http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/5130_XpressMusic
? Or very old one:
http://tech.wp.pl/telefon.html?mid=97&phoneId=12078&ticaid=18ccf

> for this. Normally I prefer to download and compile myself but I decided try
> using a package manager first. Under Mac OS X we have MacPorts and Fink
> which currently have the following versions of Gnokii available:
>
> 0.6.26 (Fink)
> 0.6.27 (MacPorts)

Are there maintainers for these things? Do you happen to have some
email address whom we could ask to bump the version?

> I decided to use MacPorts as it offers a newer version of Gnokii. It
> downloaded, compiled and installed Gnokii and a very large number of
> dependencies (it took about 3 hours).

Well, these are probably compile time dependencies which needed to be
compiled themselves (I'm not familiar with MacPorts).

> Then I connected my Nokia 5130 to my Mac using the USB / MicroUSB cable that
> came with the phone. The phone asks to choose a mode: PC Suite; Printing and
> Media; or Data Storage. I selected the PC Suite mode. The phone is shown in
> Mac OS X System Profiler as:
>
> Nokia 5130c-2:
>
>  Product ID:   0x0208
>  Vendor ID:    0x0421  (Nokia Corporation)
>  Version:      5.80
>  Speed:        Up to 12 Mb/sec
>  Manufacturer: Nokia
>  Location ID:  0x1d100000
>  Current Available (mA):       500
>  Current Required (mA):        100
>
> Then I copied the sample configuration file to my home directory:
>
> cp /opt/local/etc/gnokiirc ~/.gnokiirc
>
> Then I tried to use gnokii and found the following problem:
>
> $ gnokii --identify
> GNOKII Version 0.6.27
> LOG: debug mask is 0x1
> Config read from file /Users/gdelfino/.gnokiirc.
> Cannot create lockfile /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0. Please check for existence of
> the path.Lock file error. Exiting.

If you are not going to use two programs accessing phone port you may set:
use_locking = no
in the config file. Otherwise you should create the lock dir and give
it the right permissions. Or is there any other dir on MacOS X that's
standard for that purpose?

> This doesn't work as the /var/lock/ directory does not exist on my machine.
> So I edited the configuration file and changed the 'use_locking' value from
> 'yes' to 'no' and also changed the 'model' value from '6510' to '6110'. In

First change was OK, the second one most likely is incorrect.

> regards to the port, I noticed that 4 new devices appear in /dev when I
> connect the phone:
>
> /dev/cu.usbmodem1d12
> /dev/cu.usbmodem1d1A
> /dev/tty.usbmodem1d12
> /dev/tty.usbmodem1d1A

As the hint. Not to change config every time you could use sections:

[phone_cu1d12]
model = 6510
port = /dev/cu.usbmodem1d12
connection = serial

and use gnokii with

$ gnokii --phone cu1d12 ...

I would recommend trying two models:
 model = 6510
 model = AT
with all these ports and see what works.

> All these attempts were made using 'connection = serial'. As they were all
> unsuccessful, I decided to try bluetooth. After pairing the phone, and

If it has bluetooth it is not the old phone for sure. Then you're
using incorrect driver.

> model = 6110
[...]
> Telephone interface init failed: Function or connection type not supported
> by the phone or by the phone driver.

That's due to incorrect model given.

> * compile version 0.6.28

If you're bothering with compilation, I'd recommend using git version.
It's more up-to-date and we try to have it always working.

> * solve the use_locking problem

We have defined now two paths:
#if defined (__svr4__)
#  define lock_path "/var/run/LCK.."
#else
#  define lock_path "/var/lock/LCK.."
#endif
I don't know how is it done on MacOS X. Something similar is in minicom.

> * try with the other connection values

See above.

> * Install a Linux partition or virtual machine

Surprisingly it works. It happened t me for some time to develop
gnokii on vmware with linux installed on xp.

take care,
--
Pawel Kot