[Gnu-arch-users] =tagging-method and non-portable filenames

From: Joe Osborn
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] =tagging-method and non-portable filenames
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:23:02 -0500

Hello, List!

I'm a Mac OS X developer doing revision control with Arch; I love it. It's the best software of its kind that I've seen outside of Smalltalk's changeset system, and it's only not that because it's language-agnostic, which is really fine, it can't be aware without being inflexible, and Smalltalk's system is a part of the image, etc ad infinitum.

I'm running into a problem, however, which is inconveniencing me. Some changes I make to =tagging-method's regexen for the different file types(Excluded, Precious, Junk, Backup) are effective and tla inventory will give me a proper list by the types given. However, changes to Unrecognized do nothing, and Source seems ineffective too. While it may be I'm writing bad regex, my goal is to allow non-portable file names, as a lot of mine are, to be put under version control as sources. The following line:

source ^([_=a-zA-Z0-9[:space:][:punct:]].*)$

is either malformed or ineffective. Which is it? File names like "3rd Edition, Revised" and "Ice Age" still fall into the Unrecognized section with this regex, even though

find . [_=a-zA-Z0-9[:space:][:punct:]].*

works fine. Is the limitation on the usage of non-portable file names a basic assumption of Arch? Is there a workaround? Am I just a fool?

This is equally not-working in larch and tla.  Any suggestions?

__joe

"Remember: no matter where you go... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai