Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =tagging-method and non-portable filenames

From: Douglas Philips
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =tagging-method and non-portable filenames
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:26:04 -0400

On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 04:28 US/Eastern, Ethan Benson, replying to Joe Osborn wrote:
whitespace in filenames is absolutly forbidden in arch.  removing this
restriction is not at trivial as you think. reference the list archives.

find . [_=a-zA-Z0-9[:space:][:punct:]].*

works fine.  Is the limitation on the usage of non-portable file names
a basic assumption of Arch?  Is there a workaround?  Am I just a fool?

This is equally not-working in larch and tla.  Any suggestions?

rename your files to not include whitespace.

This is going to be nearly a show-stopper for Mac OS/X users.
I understand tla's legacy, but that is irrelevant to adoption by Mac OS/X users.
I am one too.
I can't use tla for this reason too.
Oh, right, if you can't get arch-id/arch-tag lines into existing files, what makes you think telling projects to rename their files will get arch/tla any more users? Sheesh, just make 'em all 8.3 filenames and "GET OVER IT" ("Th-Th-That's a joke, son" --F.L.) (I haven't had the time to try tla passed building 1.0, I've been too busy deleting OT Emacs emails ;-))

Just my "Oh well, I guess I can't use tla YET" buck two-fitty,
        <D\'gou