[Gnu-arch-users] migrating projects

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] migrating projects
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:31:45 -0700

I've got a few problems migrating to Arch that I'd like some opinions on.

---------- First Problem ----------

First, there's the project where all the build files appear in the same location as the source files (i.e. tree-lint is unhappy).

I have imported two java based projects where I used to build directly into the source trees. This is kind of bad form for java anyway, so I've updated the build system on these projects to do everything in a =build directory and all's well.

However, I've now moved a C based project over that has autoconf stuff as well as .o files and bins that all end up in the same place. This seems acceptable for small projects, so I don't necessarily want to change all of my projects to separate the build location from the source location.

I've read of a patch that allows you to declare any file not explicitly added should be ignored (i.e. CVS behavior). Is this the way to handle this in the future, or is there a better way?

---------- Second Problem ----------

I've got a fairly vast and diverse CVS repository. Many things are very small and fall into language-specific directories (i.e. a lot stuff in the form of python/misc, haskell/misc, ocaml/misc, mixal/misc, etc...)

Is there a ``subcategory'' concept? I'd like to create a ``lang'' category that contains a subcategory for each language I have various toys written in. Recursive would be grand, as I've got things like c/net/tcp/{project}.

I realize I could do a similar thing with category names, but then I'd have a *huge* list every time I asked for a list of categories on an archive.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>