Re: [Gnu-arch-users] migrating projects

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] migrating projects
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:47:28 +1000

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 17:31, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> ---------- First Problem ----------
>       I've read of a patch that allows you to declare any file not
> explicitly added should be ignored (i.e. CVS behavior).  Is this the
> way to handle this in the future, or is there a better way?

{arch}/\=tagging-method is your friend. See the tutorial, and the
contents of that file. The patch in question is not appropriate for
solving the problem you have - and is (hopefully) already superceded by
a more general solution from Tom.

> ---------- Second Problem ----------
>
>       I've got a fairly vast and diverse CVS repository.  Many things are
> very small and fall into language-specific directories (i.e. a lot
> stuff in the form of python/misc, haskell/misc, ocaml/misc, mixal/misc,
> etc...)
>
>       Is there a ``subcategory'' concept?  I'd like to create a ``lang''
> category that contains a subcategory for each language I have various
> toys written in.  Recursive would be grand, as I've got things like
> c/net/tcp/{project}.
>
>       I realize I could do a similar thing with category names, but then I'd
> have a *huge* list every time I asked for a list of categories on an
> archive.

I'd probably consider the language to be orthogonal to the project at
hand, so perhaps:
toys--net-tcp--1.0 ?

Rob