[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.1 plans

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.1 plans
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:44:40 +0900

    Miles> Do you mean that it should match the the patterns in the
    Miles> order they occur in the file, returning the first type that
    Miles> matches?  Does =tagging-method do that now?

Something like that, eg

junk    \.cvsignore.*
source  \.cvsignore
junk    \.cvs.*

to ignore all .cvs* stuff, except for .cvsignore.

And, no, it doesn't (as of the last time I checked).  It simply read
all the expressions and applied them in a standard order.  This makes
sense, given that it's not mandatory to have all expressions if you
have any---you wouldn't want the meaning of the file to change because
you add a regexp identical to the default.  I mean, it's bad UI: such
rules are really hard to remember (sez the guy who forgot he had a
"Protocol 1" directive at the top of .ssh/config, and wondered why
sftp URLs didn't work ;-).