Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: UI change proposal: *-tag -> *->id

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: UI change proposal: *-tag -> *->id
Date: 19 Sep 2003 01:03:55 -0700

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 00:19, Pau Aliagas wrote:

> > > Wouldn't it be easier to change tag to branch-tag or version-tag?
> >
> > Tag is a widely used term in general with regard to source-control, with
> > the meaning that the tla `tag' command uses (at the least, it's what CVS
> > uses, and CVS is the big influence on the block).
>
> I have never found confusing the duality of meaning of tag as it refers to
> very different and clerly separated concepts.

So: Why have two words for two concepts when one will do? :)

> In fact, I find its use very
> convinient in both cases as its the exact word that defines what you mean
> to do.

Huh?  We could define versions to be called tags and patches to be
called tags and your statement would still be true.  So, I don't see
your point.

With the current terminology, I can think of at least 4 meanings for
"tag."  I think it's worth renormalizing, myself.

Bob