Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW: --forward options (alternative to --skip-prese

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW: --forward options (alternative to --skip-present)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:27:43 -0400

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 02:44:38PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> As with `patch(1)', --forward means "ignore hunks that appear to
> already have been applied".

Very cool!

Can we think about the name though?  --forward is an awful name, even in
patch (where there's some additional justification for it; it kind of makes
sense if you think about it, and squint a lot, but ...).

How about something really obvious like `--ignore-duplicates', and keep -N as
the short-option (which is what most patch users probably use anyway).

> Thus, this is a (superior, I think) alternative to --skip-present.

Hmmm, it's probably much easier to use at least (since I'd think you'd have
to worry less about possible bad side-effects).

-Miles
--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'