Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW: --forward options (alternative to --skip-prese

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW: --forward options (alternative to --skip-present)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:28:19 +1000

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 15:33, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > Simple case:
>     > How will it handle double-application of a patch into a tree where
>     > function names used in the patch have changed?
>
> Don't merge from that branch.   You're playing awefully fast-and-loose
> with the meaning of the presence of a patch log entry.

Into that branch. I must have been unclear.

In mainline:

- foo(bar, baz);
+ foo(bar, baz + 1);

in the branch
  bettername(bar, baz + 1);

/* already merged from the origin of the baz->baz+1 change */

How is that 'fast and loose' ? Perhaps you could define precisely -what-
a patchlog presence in the tree means, because I *thought* I grokked it,
but apparently, I don't.

Rob