Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW: three-way merges / conflict markers

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW: three-way merges / conflict markers
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:46:37 +0200

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 10:45:32 -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> arch has traditionally indicated conflicts by generating .rej files
> containing hunks that `patch(1)' rejects.
>
> Sometimes people ask, instead, to have diff3 or CVS style conflict
> markers left in the file being patched.   Like:
>
>       <<<<<<< TREE
>         this is what
>         you had in your tree
>         =======
>       this is what the merged-from
>         revision had instead
>         >>>>>>> MERGED-FROM
>
> (Note3: presumably this is between 90% and 100% of an enabler for
> integration with fancy graphical merge tools.  If someone makes
> progress in that area, lemme know what's missing (or even better,
> whats-missing :-).)

This is only a "2-way" markup. "3-way" merging tools might prefere
"3-way" style of that margup like wiggle produces. It's the same but
also includes lines unique to the base version:

    <<<<<<<
    local version...
    common ancestor...
    =======
    merged-from version...

I think I could configure with wiggle instead of merge (diff3). With
a small shell script, because of the incompatible options...

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>