Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW: three-way merges / conflict markers

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW: three-way merges / conflict markers
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:37:17 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Alexander Deruwe <address@hidden>

    >>> Any chance of getting a -t option in 'tla redo'?  The conflict markers
    >>> are much easier to work with, and I just found myself wishing 'redo'
    >>> would support them as well.

    >> But you need wiggle for that...

    >> Recall that you don't have the full text of old and new files for the
    >> patch; just the diff.

    > Ah, right.

Hold on.  Logically there _are_ three trees there.

Then the three trees are:

     * older

           the base revision of the project tree -- roughly: the
           pristine tree for that project tree.

     * yours

           that base revision with the undo changeset applied to it.
           In other words, the project tree as it was when `undo'
           was invoked.

     * mine

           the project tree as it is now, when I'm running `redo'.

(It gets a little weirder if I muck with `tree-version' but hopefully
you get the idea.)

So, `redo -t' makes perfect sense -- it's just _slightly_ expensive if
implemented by brute force (but probably worth doing that way, anyway).