Re: [Gnu-arch-users] from a file's point of view

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] from a file's point of view
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:23:47 +0100

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

>     > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

[...]

>     >         Is there a way to see a list of patches that have affected a
> given
>     > file?
>
> Of course, slowly and by brute force, you can just fetch and search
> changesets.
>
> If you have a revision library covering the part of history of
> interest, you can do the brute force search rather quickly.
>
> If you want very fast access to that view of history, you'll need to
> build a little ancillary structure.  A couple of browsers have done
> that so far.  It's a tiny bit of scripting, is all.

I think that's a bit negative.  A common case is where you've got a
working tree, and you're interested in what patches touched a file.
And in that case, you've got the patchlogs.  So a little scripting is
all you need (searching the patchlogs ought to be fast enough without
creating a new structure).

[...]