[Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues

From: Michael Grubb
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:52:55 -0500

There is a discrepancy of allowed path lengths between the cygwin mkdir and the native linux mkdir command. The linux command will take 4105 character path names, the windows and cygwin will only take around 280 characters. This is not to say that paths may not be deeper than what is allowed on a single command only commands that must create very deep trees should do so with this limit in mind (via chdir). The problem is the same for both platforms it is just highly unlikely one will experience this behavior on a UNIX machine. I'm not entirely sure as to the best way to fix this, I would be happy to give it a try though I'm little more than a hacker when it comes to C. Ideas, anyone ... anyone?

Thanks,

Michael Grubb