Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} directory

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} directory
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:53:03 -0700

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 01:46 US/Pacific, Robin Farine wrote:

Some have mentioned namespace pollution. Have you ever seen a project
tree, not under Arch control, containing a file system object with a
name sandwiched in curly braces? However, no need to go far to find one
whose name starts with '.', right?

        .{arch}  ?  I don't think this makes much of a difference.

About the demonstrated disadvantage of visibility, I think others have
demonstrated that the proof has a flaw. So, the real issue here is
about _personal preference_ rather than suitability.

I think this personal preference is a big issue. I don't get to use apply my personal preferences here.

I don't think I've seen any proof of a flaw regarding the disadvantages I have seen. I've seen suggestions that I should be using ``tla inventory'' rather than find or grep -r, but until ``tla inventory'' has the all of the features of find, it's just not practical.

I think that looking for strong arguments in favor of this detail or
any other in the same vein just doesn't make sense. No solution will
please everybody and the current state of things doesn't prevent
people (in the UNIX world) to do their job. Moreover, a kind of
meta-argument exists and people already mentioned it many times on the
list. To paraphrase:

I understand the point of the meta-argument, but I think there's a bigger issue. If new users complain about, but eventually get used to a feature because it serves a good purpose, that's one thing. If they complain about a design detail that is somewhat arbitrary and decide they like it for a side-effect it produces, it's still arbitrary and there will still be users who would rather not have the side-effect.

"My new shoes look strange and even hurt sometimes, I am tempted to
revert to the good old ones. But I know that I felt exactly the same
when I bought those and that, in a few days, the new shoes will just
do nicely."

Man, I wish you could see the shoes I'm wearing today. I would not be exaggerating in the slightest by saying that the majority of homeless people I've seen have nicer shoes than these. cmax is taking way too long to fulfill the order I took way too long to place.

(yes, I understood the point of this, but that particularly struck home)

--
Dustin Sallings