Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} directory

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} directory
Date: 26 Sep 2003 10:46:21 +0200

    Dustin>     I think the directory thread kinda died of naturally
    Dustin> with no resolution. Is there any chance of anyone budging
    Dustin> on this stuff? The only argument that I've seen in favor
    Dustin> of it is visibility, but there have been a few
    Dustin> demonstrated disadvantages (including visibility).

Some have mentioned namespace pollution. Have you ever seen a project
tree, not under Arch control, containing a file system object with a
name sandwiched in curly braces? However, no need to go far to find one
whose name starts with '.', right?

About the demonstrated disadvantage of visibility, I think others have
demonstrated that the proof has a flaw. So, the real issue here is
about _personal preference_ rather than suitability.

    Dustin>     I fear that it's going to keep coming up, so if we
    Dustin> can't rename it, it'd be nice to at least have a strong
    Dustin> argument in favor of it to prevent another thread like
    Dustin> this in the future.

I think that looking for strong arguments in favor of this detail or
any other in the same vein just doesn't make sense. No solution will
please everybody and the current state of things doesn't prevent
people (in the UNIX world) to do their job. Moreover, a kind of
meta-argument exists and people already mentioned it many times on the
list. To paraphrase:

"My new shoes look strange and even hurt sometimes, I am tempted to
revert to the good old ones. But I know that I felt exactly the same
when I bought those and that, in a few days, the new shoes will just
do nicely."

--
rnf