Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} directory

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} directory
Date: 27 Sep 2003 01:01:38 +0200

[...]

    Dustin>     I don't think I've seen any proof of a flaw regarding the
    Dustin> disadvantages I have seen.  I've seen suggestions that I should be
    Dustin> using ``tla inventory'' rather than find or grep -r, but until ``tla
    Dustin> inventory'' has the all of the features of find, it's just not
    Dustin> practical.

It depends of what you want to do rather than what find can do. For
instance you said:

    Dustin>     If ``tla inventory'' did what I needed at import time,
    Dustin> perhaps globbing would be less of an issue

and in response, you got a simple mean of doing it "The Arch Way" using
inventory instead of glob patterns.

Later you write:

    Dustin> The only argument that I've seen in favor of it is
    Dustin> visibility, but there have been a few demonstrated
    Dustin> disadvantages (including visibility).

So I concluded that in "demonstrated disadvantages", the demonstration
was in fact based on the wrong premise, i.e. "I absolutely must use
'find', and without ! -path '*{arch}*' to do this". Bah, maybe I just
mixed up the different meanings "demonstrate" has.

Besides, replacing '{arch}' with '.arch' won't help at all when
invoking 'find [A-Za-z]*' from the root of a multi-project tree. A
better way of solving this problem consists of adding something like

        alias archfind="find ! -path '*{arch}*'"

to a shell startup file.

--
rnf