Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:15:21 +0900

    Dustin>     Well, this isn't an arch issue, it's a tla issue (not
    Dustin> sure if that's what you meant here).  The difference I'm
    Dustin> talking about is that OpenCM prompts you for a final edit
    Dustin> at commit time,

Ah, but that's "policy", and I don't think tla should do that,
especially since it's implemented in C.

What archivist-mode does is to find the log-file and display it, and
give a y/n prompt (this is Emacs, of course, but easily implemented
in any scripting language)

Me:     C-c a c                ;; archivist-commit
Emacs:  <pops up log file, initialize if not present>
        Commit with this log file? (y/n)
Me:     n
        <edit log>
        C-x C-s C-c a c
Emacs:  Commit with this log file? (y/n)
Me:     y

But this is policy-full.  I like it so far, it's a good start, but am
planning a transition to something like

Me:     C-x v v                ;; vc-next-action, a generic command
                               ;; familiar to Emacs users, with hooks
                               ;; to save any unsaved buffers
Emacs:  <pops up log file, initialize if not present>
        <pops up list of changed files that will be committed>
        Commit these files with this log file? (t/b/c/y/n/?)
        ;; t = typo fix, add a keyword and a boilerplate body
        ;; b = (small) bug fix, add keyword/body
        ;; c = (fixme/wibni/etc) comment, add keyword/body
        ;; y = on task, commit
        ;; n = (implicitly) on task, but need to add descriptive log
        ;; the list above would be easily configurable on the fly
Me:     n
        <edit log>
        C-x o
        <edit list of files>
        C-c C-c                 ;; finish command
Emacs:  Finish commit? (y/n)
Me:     y                       ;; configurable, I prefer to confirm

Somewhat different policy.  This would be hard to do, hard to fiddle
with, if implemented in tla (ie, in C).

I think tla should be as neutral as possible here.  If you're not
using Emacs, it should be easy to whomp up an IDE with Python or TCL
or Perl to implement these processes, but tla should facilitate all of
them.