Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: 27 Sep 2003 12:30:28 -0700

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 10:54, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> I've nothing against tagline, it may be the most handy method for some
> project, but I wouldn't encourage its usage in large projects where it's
> fundamental to avoid pollution to keep the code clean.

I think what you have to balance against your emotional reaction to the
tags being "not clean" (which would dissipate over time, I think), is
what it enables in terms of actual development that facilitates "clean"
code.

The file-ids serve a very important functional purpose.  They are not
"cruft" in the sense of dead code, or out-of-date comments.  In fact
they can help make those other, _real_ problems go away by facilitating
cooperative development.

And really, it's one freakin' line that will you will learn to ignore in
about 2 days of use.  It's not some big toxic cloud that threatens to
destroy your sources.  Calling it "pollution" is a little over-the-top.

If you want to think about real sources of pollution, maybe you should
go on tirades about #include lines in your C sources.  You might have a
point there.

Bob