Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:14:42 +0200

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 09:38:30PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 21:35, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
> > yes, given I think I learnt how to already implement the strict commits
> > through explicit tagging, so now yes, it's only a point to make the
> > explicit powerful as the tagline.
>
> I'd suggest using 'tagline' in the tagging-methods file, combined with
> my other rules verbatim. It will have the same effect as explicit in
> that:
> deliberate action must be taken to add a file
> new files will trigger a error when committing
>
> it has a benefit: you can choose to use taglines in files in the future
> with no headaches.

well, I simply don't think it's reasonable to pollute data with
metadata. If everybody would do this, the l-k would be already polluted
by bitkeeper-tag: 123123123123124 comments in every file and I guess you
wouldn't love it, I certainly wouldn't like I wouldn't like to see the
arch-tags spreading all over the tree.

I think the tagline isn't even polite w.r.t. tree maintainers, that's
pollution spreading in the sourcecode for the sole purpose of not
wanting to call add-tag/delete-tag/move-tag, which is a very good
practice anyways to be able to mark everything not tagged as
unrecognized and ingoring it during the checkin after spwaning a warning.

It maybe rasonable for a tree where people exclusively uses arch, so you
don't see this as a pollution but as a feature but I don't think it's
reasonable for something like the linux kernel, or at least I wouldn't
like it (just like I don't enjoy the comments for emacs, if every editor
require that in every file we would waste tons of space).

The benefits of tagline (I understood there are in terms of merging,
like across directories and across hosts, hope I didn't misunderstand)
should be extended to the 'explicit' tagging, then there will be no real
reason to use tagline anymore, other than to pollute the files and to
avoid running add-tag delelte-tag move-tag.

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
            svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk