Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:31:04 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Andrea Arcangeli <address@hidden>

    > I think the tagline isn't even polite w.r.t. tree maintainers, that's
    > pollution spreading in the sourcecode for the sole purpose of not
    > wanting to call add-tag/delete-tag/move-tag, which is a very good
    > practice anyways to be able to mark everything not tagged as
    > unrecognized and ingoring it during the checkin after spwaning a warning.

Another point of view says that the idea of an inventory id is a
usefully universal one that transcends the issues of revision control.

For example, inventory ids are a prerequisite for mkpatch/dopatch
functionality, and that functionality seems useful to me even where
no revision control system is used at all.

Inventory ids tell you (and your tools) something useful about the
structure of a source tree and how that structure compares to a
related tree, regardless of what revision control (if any) is being
used.

Thinking of embedded tags as _meta_data misses the point.  They're
_data_.

    > It maybe rasonable for a tree where people exclusively uses
    > arch,

And it may be equally reasonable for trees where people don't use arch
at all -- even trees where they use a different revision control
system.