Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: 28 Sep 2003 10:42:23 -0700

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 06:08, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Can you answer a very simple question?

Yes.

> Tell me what advantages and disavantages I would have by adding tagline
> to all files, compared to explicit, with strict commits. If you find a
> single advantage I will add them. Problem is you can't because there
> aren't. There are only disavantages, this is a tangible fact.

It is not.

Robert Collins made the point that tagline ids are preserved through
processing with other revision control tools.  It's a perfectly valid
point, it's a highly likely use-case, and it's a case where taglines
clearly work as intended and explicit tags clearly don't.

Now, we have found a single advantage (in fact, much more than a single
advantage, but you have only asked for one).  So live up to your word,
add them, and be done with it.

Bob