Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:03:54 +1000

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 22:14, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 09:38:30PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

> > it has a benefit: you can choose to use taglines in files in the future
> > with no headaches.
>
> well, I simply don't think it's reasonable to pollute data with
> metadata. If everybody would do this, the l-k would be already polluted
> by bitkeeper-tag: 123123123123124 comments in every file and I guess you
> wouldn't love it, I certainly wouldn't like I wouldn't like to see the
> arch-tags spreading all over the tree.

Yes yes yes. I know thats your preference now. I'm offering you a future
proofing tip from hard-learned experience. tagline will not impact you
negatively today, and will give you flexability in the future alright?

There have been plenty of mails about why it's not pollution and so
forth, but I think one small bit has been skipped over:
files have a logical identity. swap_state.c is *not* contextless. It
really is /mm/swap_state.c.

The arch tags - explicit ones in .arch-ids, and implicit ones in
comments in the files - allow you to assign the logical identity of
swap_state.c to it's context wherever it travels.

thats all.

It's orthogonal to any specific revision control system.

All the housekeeping and history etc etc etc is a topic for a different
discussion.

Rob