Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cscvs log parsing failure

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cscvs log parsing failure
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:08:16 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:38:41AM +0200, Harald Meland wrote:

> Given the demonstrated lack of needed parsing hints in the output of
> "cvs -q log", I suspect it is close to being as efficient as possible,
> while still being correct.

Maybe a binary search would help?

But I agree that it's a corner case and probably doesn't warrant much
optimization.

> As such an uncommon fallback mechanism, it could also be appropriate
> to do a "sleep X" between getting each revision's log, in the hope
> that the resulting reduction in connect frequency would be enough to
> avoid killing e.g. inetd-based pservers.  X could be configurable
> through a cscvs command line option.

Better limit the total number of CVS operations per minute.

The same problem occurs if you run totla, BTW.

> >> I'm not following what you mean by that statement; the CVS log
> >> messages are fairly central to cscvs' operation.
> >
> > The idea is to gather an authoritative list of revisions in the proper
> > order.
>
> ... and group consecutive revisions by the same author into a single
> changeset iff their log messages are the same.

I'm aware that you actually need the log messages as well, but if it
were possible to retrieve the log without the actual log messages, it
could provide us with a reliable list of revisions, which could then be
used for splitting the complete log.