[Gnu-arch-users] Arch hooks

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch hooks
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:35:51 +1000

Hi all,

I'm looking at the hook function in GNU Arch and have a couple of
comments/questions:

 0) In say a "tla import" or "tla commit", when does the hook file
    get run, at the start, during or at the end of the process?

 1) Should the current tla command be terminated if the hook
    function returns a non-zero error code? For instance, I have
    a Python script which checks C code against a number of
    formatting requirements. What I would like to do is run this
    script againsy all C files in the project before a commit. If
    any formatting violations are found (ie the Python script
    terminates with a non zero return code) I would like the
    commit to be aborted so the errors can be fixed before the
    commit is attempted again.

 2) Is it possible to have a per project hook file so that hooks
    actually become part of the project? This would allow different
    projects to do different things in the project specific hook.
    If this per project hook becomes part of the project then things
    like the above Python script can be shipped with the project so
    that someone else working on the project can run the same hooks
    when they commit, without having to modify the hook file in
    their home directory.

Does this functionality exist already and I haven't found it yet? Does
anyone else think this is a good idea?

Regards,
Erik

PS : I have been using GNU Arch for about 2 days and I really like it
     so far. It is already a huge improvement on CVS which I have been
     using for some time, but have never been happy with. I have also
     attempted to use Aegis but found that it was very difficult to
     use on projects which use autoconf/automake/libtool.
  Erik de Castro Lopo  address@hidden (Yes it's valid)
`[Microsoft] are in the business of giving customers exactly what they ask
for, which sounds like a nice idea until you realize that most Microsoft
customers are idiots.' --- Eugene O'Neil on comp.os.linux.development.system