[Gnu-arch-users] Arch hooks

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch hooks
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:44:21 -0500

>>>>> "Erik" == Erik de Castro Lopo <address@hidden> writes:
Erik>
Erik> Hi all,
Erik> I'm looking at the hook function in GNU Arch and have a couple of
Erik> comments/questions:
Erik>
Erik>  0) In say a "tla import" or "tla commit", when does the hook file
Erik>     get run, at the start, during or at the end of the process?

IIRC (I was looking at the hook code for another reason) the hook is run
after the event in question.

Erik>
Erik>  1) Should the current tla command be terminated if the hook
Erik>     function returns a non-zero error code? For instance, I have
Erik>     a Python script which checks C code against a number of
Erik>     formatting requirements. What I would like to do is run this
Erik>     script againsy all C files in the project before a commit. If
Erik>     any formatting violations are found (ie the Python script
Erik>     terminates with a non zero return code) I would like the
Erik>     commit to be aborted so the errors can be fixed before the
Erik>     commit is attempted again.

At the moment (tla
address@hidden/dists--release-tla--1.1--patch-5(emf.net/devo.tla.release)
from regexps.com), tla doesn't examine the return code from the hook to
make that decision.  Given that the hook is run *after* the event, there's
really not much reason to check.

Pre-event hooks are another story and I'm sure that Tom will do/allow the
Right Thing (TM) in those cases when/if those hooks are added.

Erik> PS : I have been using GNU Arch for about 2 days and I really like it
Erik>      so far. It is already a huge improvement on CVS which I have been
Erik>      using for some time, but have never been happy with. I have also
Erik>      attempted to use Aegis but found that it was very difficult to
Erik>      use on projects which use autoconf/automake/libtool.

I was relatively happy with CVS, but once I started to use larch/tla I
haven't considered using CVS for anything that I do.  In some respects, I
think that it is superior to ClearCase.  (Given my useage patterns, at any
rate.)

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above